This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
International/regional human rights law
- United Nations, Human Rights Committee (2014). General comment No. 35: Article 9 (Liberty and security of person) . 16 December. CCPR/C/GC/35.
- United Nations, Human Rights Council (2014). Report of the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention: A compilation of national, regional and international laws, regulations and practices on the right to challenge the lawfulness of detention before court . 30 June. A/HRC/27/47.
- Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force CTITF, Working Group on Protecting Human Rights while Countering Terrorism (2014). " Basic Human Rights Reference Guide: Detention on the Context of Countering Terrorism." CTTIF Publication Series. United Nations: New York.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2017). Report of the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention . 19 July. A/HRC/36/37.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2014). Report of the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention . 30 June. A/HRC/27/48.
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights. Guidelines on the Conditions of Arrest, Police Custody and Pre-trial Detention in Africa . Banjul.
- European Court of Human Rights, Press Unit (2018). Factsheet: Terrorism and the European Convention on Human Rights . May.
- Weissbrodt, David, and Brittany Mitchell (2016). " The United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention: Procedures and Summary of Jurisprudence." Human Rights Quarterly, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 655-705.
Arrest and detention
- Human and Constitutional Rights Resource Page (2008). Case List for various domestic systems on " Arrested, Detained and Accused Persons".
- European Court of Human Rights, Press Unit (2017). Factsheet: Police arrest and assistance of a lawyer . December.
- Open Society Justice Initiative (2012). Arrest Rights Brief No. 2: The Right to Information . June.
- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) (2007). Stamping out rights: the impact of anti-terrorism laws on policing . New Delhi: CHRI. Ch. 4.
- Jinks, Derek P. (2001). " The Anatomy of an Institutionalised Emergency: Preventive Detention and Personal Liberty in India." Michigan Journal of International Law, vol. 22, issue 2, pp. 311-370.
- Macken, Claire (2005). " Preventive Detention and the Right of Personal Liberty and Security under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights 1966." Adelaide Law Review, vol. 26, pp. 1-28.
- Cassel, Douglas (2009). " International Human Rights Law and Security Detention." Scholarly Works, Paper 650.
- ICRC (2005). " Procedural Principles and Safeguards for Internment/Administrative Detention in Armed Conflict and Other Situations of Violence". Report on International Humanitarian Law and the Challenges of Contemporary Armed Conflicts, Annex 1. » presented to the 30th International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent held in Geneva in 2007.
- Deeks, Ashley S. (2009). " Administrative Detention in Armed Conflict." Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, vol. 40, issue 3, pp. 403-436.
- ICRC (2010). " Contemporary Challenges to IHL - Security Detention." ICRC, 29 October.
- ICRC (2015). " Strengthening International Humanitarian Law - Protecting Persons Deprived of their Liberty." ICRC, 27 April.
- ICRC (2014). " Internment in Armed Conflict: Basic Rules and Challenges." Opinion Paper, 25 November.
- Hartmann, Jacques (2012). " The Copenhagen Process: Principles and Guidelines." EJIL:Talk!, 3 November.
- Oswald, Bruce and Thomas Winkler (2012). " Copenhagen Process Principles and Guidelines on the Handling Detainees in International Military Operations." Insights, vol. 16, issue 39.
- International Commission of Jurists (2015). Legal Commentary on the Right to Challenge the Lawfulness of Detention in Armed Conflict. Geneva.
- Tsagourias, Nicholas (2017). " Detention in International and Non-International Armed Conflict." Research Guide: International Law.