This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
- Ewi, Martin A. and Anton du Plessis (2014). " Counter-terrorism and Pan-Africanism: From non-action to non-indifference." In Research Handbook on International Law and Terrorism, Ben Saul, ed.Edward Elgar. Ch. 42.
- Makinda, Samuel M. (2006). " Terrorism, counter-terrorism and norms in Africa." African Security Review, vol. 15, issue 3, pp. 19-31.
- Salinas de Friás, Ana-Maria, Katja L.H. Samuel and Nigel D. White, eds. (2012). Counter-Terrorism: International Law and Practice . New York: Oxford University Press. Chs. 31, 36.
- Aris, Stephen (2009). " The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation: 'Tackling the Three Evils'. A Regional Response to Non-traditional Security Challenges or an Anti-Western Bloc?" Europe-Asia Studies, vol. 61, issue 3, pp. 457-482.
- Bailes, Alyson J. K. (2007). " Regional Security Cooperation: A Challenge for South (and North-East) Asia." Strategic Analysis, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 665-674.
- Bakshi, Jyotsna (2002). " Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) before and after September 11 ." Strategic Analysis, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 265-276.
- Chow, Jonathan T. (2005). " ASEAN Counterterrorism Cooperation Since 9/11." Asian Survey, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 302-321.
- Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT) (2010). Countering Terrorism: Building a Common Approach in SAARC . Delhi.
- De Haas, Marcel (2008). " Time for the EU and NATO to engage with the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation." Europe's World (Autumn), pp. 43-47.
- Gerstl, Alfred (2010). " The Depoliticisation and 'ASEANisation' of Counter-Terrorism Policies in South-East Asia: A Weak Trigger for a Fragmented Version of Human Security." Austrian Journal of South-East Asian Studies, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 48-75.
- Gunaratna, Rohan and Gloria Cheung (2014). " Regional legal responses to terrorism in Asia and the Pacific." In Research Handbook on International Law and Terrorism, Ben Saul, ed. Edward Elgar. Ch. 43.
- Hafidz, Tatik S. (2009). " A Long Row to Hoe: A Critical Assessment of ASEAN Cooperation on Counter- Terrorism." Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia Issue 11, December.
- Library of Congress (last updated 13 January 2016). Legal Provisions on Fighting Extremism: China .
- Neo, Jaclyn L. (2017). " Realizing the Right to Freedom of Thought, Conscience and Religion: The Limited Normative Force of the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration." Human Rights Law Review, vol. 17, issue 4, pp. 729-751.
- Pattanaik, Smruit S (2006). " Making sense of regional cooperation: SAARC at Twenty." Strategic Analysis, vol. 30, no. 1.
- Phan, Hao Duy (2009). " A Blueprint for a Southeast Asian Court of Human Rights." Asian-Pacific Law and Policy Journal, vol. 10, issue 2, pp. 384-433.
- Saul, Ben (2006). " Branding Enemies: Regional Legal Responses to Terrorism in Asia." Asia-Pacific Yearbook of International Humanitarian Law, vol. 2, p. 110.
- Barros, Xiana (2012). " The external dimension of EU counter-terrorism: the challenges of the European Parliament in front of the European Court of Justice." European Security, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 518-536.
- Cross, Mai'a K.D. (2017). " Counter-terrorism in the EU's external relations." Journal of European Integration, vol. 39. issue 5, pp. 609-624.
- De Boer, Monica and Irina Wiegand (2015). " From Convergence to Deep Integration: Evaluating the Impact of EU Counter-Terrorism Strategies on Domestic Arenas." Intelligence and National Security, vol. 30, no. 2-3, pp. 377-401.
- Ebert, Franz C., and Romina I. Sijniensky (2015). " Preventing Violations of the Right to Life in the European and the Inter-American Human Rights Systems: From the Osman Test to a Coherent Doctrine on Risk Prevention?" Human Rights Law Review, vol. 15, issue 2, pp. 343-368.
- Europol (2017). European Union Terrorism Situation and Trend Report 2017 . European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation.
- Fabbrini, Federico (2014). " The European Court of Human Rights, Extraordinary Renditions and the Right to the Truth: Ensuring Accountability for Gross Human Rights Violations Committed in the Fight Against Terrorism." Human Rights Law Review, vol. 14, issue 1, pp. 85-106.
- Freire, Maria R. (2005). " The OSCE's post-September 11 agenda, and Central Asia." Global Society, vol. 19, issue 2, pp. 189-209.
- Moeckli, Daniel (2008). " Saadi v. Italy: the rules of the game have not changed." Human Rights Law Review, vol. 8, issue 3, pp. 534-548.
- Monar, Jörg (2015). " The EU as an International Counter-terrorism Actor: Progress and Constraints." Intelligence and National Security, vol. 30, no.2-3 , pp. 333-356.
- Murphy, Cian C. (2012). EU Counter-Terrorism Law: Pre-Emption and the Rule of Law . Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Murphy, Cian C. (2014). " The legal response to terrorism of the European Union and the Council of Europe." In Research Handbook on International Law and Terrorism, Ben Saul, ed. Edward Elgar. Ch. 39.
- O'Neill, Maria (2012). The Evolving EU Counter-Terrorism Legal Framework. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Salinas de Frias, Ana-Maria. (2013) Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights in the Case Law of the European Court of Human Rights . Council of Europe.
Middle East and Gulf region
- Hmoud, Mahmoud (2006). "The Organization of the Islamic Conference." In International Cooperation in Counter-terrorism: The United Nations and Regional Organizations in the Fight against Terrorism, Giuseppe Nesi, ed. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing. Ch.13.
- Lombardini, Michele (2001). " The International Islamic Court of Justice: Towards an International Islamic Legal System?" Leiden Journal of International Law, vol. 14, issue 3, pp. 665-680.
- Monshipouri, Monshipouri, and Claire L. Kaufman (2015). " The OIC, Children's Rights and Islam." Matters of Concern Human Rights' Research Papers,Copenhagen:The Danish Institute for Human Rights.
- Rishmawi, Mervat (2005). " The Revised Arab Charter on Human Rights: A Step Forward?" Human Rights Law Review, vol. 5, Issue 2, pp. 361-376.
- Rishmawi, Mervat (2010). " The Arab Charter on Human Rights and the League of Arab States: An Update." Human Rights Law Review, vol. 10, Issue 1, pp. 169-178.
- Samuel, Katja L.H (2014). " The legal response to terrorism of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation." In Research Handbook on International Law and Terrorism, Ben Saul, ed. Edward Elgar. Ch. 41.