Tool 1: United Nations and International References
- United Nations, OHCHR, International Bar Association (2003). Human Rights in the Administration of Justice: A Manual on Human Rights for Judges, Prosecutors and Lawyers . United Nations Publications. Ch. 6, "The Right to a Fair Trial Part I: From Investigation to Trial". » An overview of international jurisprudence on aspects of the right to a fair trial.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (2014). Counter-Terrorism Legal Training Curriculum Module 4: Human Rights and Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism . Vienna: UNODC.
- United Nations, Count-Terrorism Implementation Task Force, Working Group on protecting human rights while countering terrorism (2014). Basic Human Rights Reference Guide: Fair Trial and Due Process in the Context of Countering Terrorism . New York: United Nations
- United Nations, Human Rights Committee (2007). General Comment No. 32: Article 14: Right to equality before courts and tribunals and to a fair trial . 23 August. CCPR/C/GC/32.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2010). Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on the protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 15 December. A/HRC/16/50. » Discusses aspects of due process and the right to fair trial in the context of counter-terrorism.
- United Nations, General Assembly (2008). Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 6 August. A/63/223. » The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and Counter-terrorism has produced a report addressing the right to a fair trial, which includes summary and analysis of key issues arising in terrorism trials.
- Mole, Nuala, and Catharina Harby (2006). " The Right to a Fair Trial: A Guide to the Implementation of Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights ." Human Rights Handbooks, No. 3. Council of Europe, Directorate General of Human Rights. » Information about the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights on the right to a fair trial, including the scope of the right and the protections it encompasses.
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (2003). Principles and Guidelines on the Right to a Fair Trial and Legal Assistance in Africa .
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (2015) . Principles and Guidelines on Human and Peoples' Rights while Countering Terrorism in Africa . » See especially Part 4.
- United Nations. Guidelines on the Role of Prosecutors. » In particular, Principle 16 sets out the professional responsibilities of prosecutors who come into possession of unlawfully obtained evidence.
- United Nations, OHCHR (2004). Istanbul Protocol: Manual on the Effective Investigation and Documentation of Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. Geneva. » Intended to serve as international guidelines for the assessment of persons who allege torture and ill-treatment, for investigating cases of alleged torture and for reporting findings to the judiciary or any other investigative body.
- United Nations, General Assembly (1985). Resolution 40/146: The Basic Principles on the Independence of the Judiciary . 13 December. A/RES/40/146.