This module is a resource for lecturers
Possible class structure
This section contains recommendations for a teaching sequence and timing intended to achieve learning outcomes through a three-hour class. The lecturer may wish to disregard or shorten some of the segments below in order to give more time to other elements, including introduction, icebreakers, conclusion or short breaks. The structure could also be adapted for shorter or longer classes, given that the class durations vary across countries.
- 0 - 10 mins » Briefly introduce topic, session learning outcomes and outline structure.
- 10 - 50 mins » Discuss key concept. Conduct Exercise 1: An introduction to preventing violent extremism.
- 50 - 55 mins » Short break.
- 55 - 95 mins » Discuss drivers of violent extremism. Watch Video 1: Recruitment motivational factors and subsequent disillusionment of foreign fighters joining Islamic State, and/or Video 2: Preventing radicalisation in prisons (For videos see: Additional teaching tools.)
- 95 - 110 mins » Discuss United Nations VE Framework.
- 110 - 115 mins » Short break.
- 115 - 145 mins » Discuss a selection of regional approaches to VE (e.g., what is geographically most relevant together with a comparative element).
- 145 - 175 mins » Conduct Exercise 2: Gallery Walk.
- 175 - 180 mins » If appropriate, introduce the assessment questions with relevant marking criteria.